We’re within the knockout rounds of EM 2021 and we have already had various video games that acquired slowed down after 90 minutes.
In truth, half of the Euro 2021 spherical of 16 matches resulted in a draw after regulation. So did the primary quarter-finals.
The official match guidelines for the European Championship (web page 20) describe what occurs after these 90 minute guidelines if the sport outcome continues to be a tie:
- Additional time: Two 15-minute extensions have been performed in full;
- Penalties shoot: If there’s nonetheless no winner after additional time, the winner might be decided by penalty shoot-out.
These are the 5 Euro 2021 video games which have gone into time beyond regulation, two of which go to penalties:
- Spherical of 16: Italy beat Austria 2-1 in additional time after the 90-minute rule ended 0-0
- Spherical of 16: Croatia and Spain introduced their common 3-Three draw to additional time, the place Spain scored twice extra to win it 5-3
- Spherical of 16: France and Switzerland have been tied 3: Three within the rules and after a goalless extension the Swiss received 5-Four in PKs
- Spherical of 16: Ukraine and Sweden went 1-1 in additional time, and Ukraine scored a objective within the 121st minute for a 2-1 win
- Quarter Finals: Switzerland and Spain went 1-1 in additional time after which PKs, the place the Spaniards received the penalty shoot-out 3-1
Substitute rule for substitute gamers
Every workforce might make 5 substitutions and one sixth substitution in time beyond regulation solely in any match within the competitors.
MORE: Up to date Euro 2021 match group
These substitutions have to be made throughout a most of three substitution home windows within the recreation if the sport is often over or 4 substitution home windows within the recreation if the sport goes into time beyond regulation.
The groups also can make substitutions on the finish of the varied intervals that don’t depend in the direction of the above talked about substitution home windows within the recreation:
- Midway via regulation
- Finish of regulation
- Half-time of additional time
What occurred on the EM 2016?
Within the final version of the European Championship, 5 of the 15 video games within the knockout spherical wanted additional time and three of these 5 video games went to penalties.
The ultimate of the Euro 2016 between Portugal and France was determined by a objective within the 109th minute in additional time by Portugal’s Eder.
Poland (16th spherical), Portugal (quarter-finals) and Germany (quarter-finals) received the PK shootouts within the knockout part of the 2016 match in opposition to Switzerland, Poland and Italy.
Extension within the Euro remaining
Six of the 15 European Championship finals of all time have been determined in additional time, solely one in every of them ended on penalties: In 1976, Czechoslovakia received the crown over West Germany.
The European Championship finals in 1996 and 2000 have been determined by a “golden objective” with sudden loss of life in additional time. At the moment, in response to the principles, the primary objective scored in additional time was the winner, which ended the sport. The golden objective rule was faraway from the principles of the sport in 2004.